Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) celebrated International Sarcoma Awareness Week (July 12th‑20th)! This marks the first time OHSU has held such an event for sarcoma supporters. It was powerful to have 70 Sarcoma patients, donors, friends and staff all united to the commitment of better treatments and more awareness! Guests listened to a panel discussion highlighting the latest advancements in sarcoma research and care. The participants also heard from other active community sarcoma groups who are working to make a difference for Sarcoma patients. The event was held July 17th at the Center for Health and Healing.
This event was important because it was the first time OHSU has held a Sarcoma event. The attendance was overwhelming! It also brought together several sarcoma community groups, sarcoma physicians from three Portland area hospitals, and gave patients a place to meet.
Key organizers were: Caroline Macuiba, MSW; Melanie Farnsworth, NP; Chris Ryan, M.D.; Lisa Besaw; RN,; Ivy Ingram; Lisa Nolen; and Jodi Davis.
Hike for a Cure. Team Sarcoma Oregon hosted a hike every day during July 16-21.
- July 16—hiked to top of Spencer Butte
- July 17—walked a portion of Ruth Bascom Riverbank Trail
- July 18—walked a portion of Ruth Bascom Riverbank Trail
- July 19—walked a portion of Ruth Bascom Riverbank Trail
- July 20—hiked to the top of Mt. Pisgah
- July 21—hiked in the Oregon Cascades or Oregon Coast range